AMWA's Annual Conference Student Scholarship
Annual Conference Student Scholarship Past Recipients
Are you looking for a communication career that reflects your interest in science or medicine? Are you looking for a career in science or medicine that focuses on communication rather than laboratory or clinical work?
If so, then apply for a scholarship to attend AMWA's 73rd Annual Conference to be held November 6-9, 2013 inColumbus, OH. The student(s) selected to receive this conference scholarship will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about the variety of careers available in medical communication
- Attend informative presentations concerning current issues in medical communication
- Attend numerous educational seminars
- Engage in discussions with professional scientific and medical communicators
- Participate in professional development workshops
The scholarship will cover
- Ground or air transportation to Columbus
- Lodging for 4 nights at AMWA's conference hotel
- Conference registration fee, which also includes more than 30 open sessions
- Complimentary ticket to the awards dinner
- Fees for as many as 3 workshops (based on availability)
Recipients will be responsible for meals other than the awards dinner, transportation between the airport and the hotel, and personal expenses. Recipients will also receive a complimentary 1-year student membership in AMWA.
Student Scholarship Application
- Applicants must be enrolled full time in an accredited institution of higher learning, preferably in a medical writing, technical writing, or journalism program. An official transcript must accompany the application.
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant's academic advisor or program professor must be enclosed.
- Applicants must describe (in 1 to 3 paragraphs) their reasons for being interested in the field of medical communication and for wanting to attend AMWA's annual conference.
- Applicants must submit a 1- to 3-page essay on 1 of the following topics:
- Using a current medical or scientific event as an example, explain how writing style affects communication of the complex data associated with this event to a specific audience.
- Using a current medical or scientific event as a background, write 3 versions of the event for 3 different audiences. (Please describe the audiences for which your versions have been prepared.)
Only fully completed applications and attachments will be considered. No applications will be returned. All decisions of the selection committee will be final.
Application Deadline: Postmarked by July 26, 2013
At the time of notification, awardees must sign and return an acceptance letter stating their ability and commitment to attend and participate, their acknowledgment of the financial penalties associated with fraud or negligence in the execution of the scholarship, and their agreement to AMWA's use of their names and likenesses for promotional or marketing purposes.
Please send the completed application form with all required attachments to the following address:
AMWA Conference Student Scholarship
30 West Gude Drive, Suite 525
Rockville, MD 20850-4347
Questions? Please contact Rachel Spassiani at AMWA headquarters
phone: (240) 238-0940, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org