FAQs ABOUT AMWA'S CERTIFICATE PROGRAM EXPANSION
- Can I continue to pursue a Core, Science Fundamentals, or Advanced certificate since I'm already enrolled in those programs?
Yes, the current workshops will continue to be offered and to have multiple designations to accommodate both the older and the new certificates.
- I am already enrolled in a certificate program; what will happen to the workshop credits that I've earned so far?
No credits will be lost; they will be retained in your record for you to apply at a later date toward the desired certificate. Workshops will have multiple designations since the credit can be applied to either old or new certificates. There is no change to the rule that credits can only be applied once, to 1 certificate.
- The new certificates require an ethics workshop; is that available?
AMWA currently has 1 ethics workshop, Ethical Standards in Medical Publication, which has been offered for the last several years. That ethics workshop will apply to the new Composition and Publication specialty certificate. A new ethics workshop applicable to the Essential Skills certificate is already in development and will debut at the 2010 Annual Conference. In addition, a self-study workshop module on ethics is scheduled for release in 2011 and will fulfill the Essential Skills certificate requirement if the test included with the module is successfully completed.
- I am already enrolled in a certificate program; do I have to complete an ethics workshop since that is required for the new certificates?
There will be no change to requirements to finish a certificate in which you are already enrolled. There are slightly different requirements for the new certificates that would apply if you transfer your enrollment to one of the new certificates.
- Can I transfer from a Core certificate enrollment to an Essential Skills certificate enrollment?
Yes, AMWA headquarters (HQ) can assist you with this.
- I want to enroll in one of the new specialty certificates. Do I have to complete an Essential Skills certificate if I already have a Core certificate or an Advanced certificate?
No, if you have already earned a Core or Advanced certificate you can enroll directly into one (or more) of the new specialty certificates.
- Can I transfer a Science Fundamentals enrollment to one for Concepts in Science and Medicine?
Yes, AMWA headquarters (HQ) can assist you with this. Almost all of the current Science Fundamentals workshops also apply to the new Concepts in Science and Medicine (SM) certificate. However, if you do not currently have a Core or Advanced certificate, you will need to enroll in and complete an Essential Skills certificate before you can earn the SM certificate. If you are in the process of earning a Core or Advanced certificate, you can enroll in the SM certificate program and take science workshops while you are completing the other certificate-in-progress. You can take workshops in both programs during that time.
- I have workshops on my record that have not been applied to a certificate. How will I know what certificate they can be applied to?
Certificate records are in the process of being updated to reflect old and new designations. The designations on the sample list of workshops on the Web site are also being updated and will be accessible in early December. At that time, you can check the list, which may also answer your question.
- Will fewer workshops be offered?
No, there will be more workshops to choose from because additional workshops are being developed. Many new workshops will be presented for the first time at the 2010 Annual Conference.
- Can an already-earned certificate be converted to a new certificate?
No, because new certificates have different requirements from the older certificates.
- What are the new certificates and the requirements to earn them?
The new certificates are Essential Skills, Business, Composition and Publication, Concepts in Science and Medicine, and Regulatory and Research. All of the new certificates require completion of 8 workshops (including an ethics workshop) applicable to the desired certificate. New certificate programs for advanced specialty tracks will be added in the upcoming months.
- Is the cost of enrollment in the new certificate programs more than the cost of enrollment in the earlier certificate programs?
No, the cost is the same.
- How do I enroll in the new certificate program(s)?
You can enroll online on the AMWA Web site under Education/Certificates, then Enrollment Form on the dropdown menu.