Medical degrees (B.M., B.Ch.) and postgraduate training from the University of Cambridge and University of Oxford. Ph.D. in Experimental Pathology from the University of Cambridge. Higher specialist postgraduate medical training, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford (MRCPath in 1991 and FRCPath in 1999). Ten years of experience as a Consultant in the UK National Health Service (NHS), including as a Senior Lecturer at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Imperial College, London. This role involved clinical work, management, teaching and research and preparation for laboratory accreditation. More than 25 years of teaching experience (undergraduates, postgraduates, scientists, health workers, non-scientists) in the form of handouts, newsletters, presentations, publications and courses. More than 25 years of medical research experience; supervisor to five PhD students (Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, London, and Newcastle); more than 40 peer-reviewed publications, which can be found at: http://www.dr-dinah-parums.com. More than ten years of experience working with and in the pharmaceutical industry, both as a Consultant and as a Principal Pharmaceutical Physician (Pfizer Global R&D and AstraZeneca). Experience as a Clinical Editor for the British Medical Journal (BMJ). Experience as an Examiner for the Royal College of Pathologists (1995 to 2002). Awarded the Fellowship of the American College of Chest Physicians (FCCP) in 1999. Member of EMWA and ISMPP since 2013. Member of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) since 2014. More than 25 years of experience as a Peer Reviewer for biomedical journals; currently for Medical Science Monitor, BioMed Central, and Cancer Biomarkers. Elected to the Editorial Board of Medical Science Monitor in 2016.
Manuscript publication planning, preparation, and writing. Manuscript editing prior to journal submission. Manuscript editing for authors for whom English is a second language (ESL) (currently, Crimson-Enago, EDANZ, and Charlesworth Group) Writing scientific and medical review articles, including 'B2B' white papers and executive reports. Document editing for scientists, physicians and patients. Preparation of teaching and training material for clinicians and scientists. Preparation of health and science information for patients. Writing postgraduate education material in cardiovascular, respiratory, diabetes, immunological and oncology therapeutic areas.
2. CONSULTING IN LIFE SCIENCES
Providing literature reviews and writing review updates in life sciences. Communicating with key opinion leaders (KOLs) in clinical medicine, academic medicine, and the pharmaceutical and finance industries. Providing specialist consulting input in several disease and therapeutic areas (oncology, translational science, respiratory medicine, cardiovascular medicine, inflammation, tissue repair). Copywriting content for online web pages, blogs, newsletters, press releases, product insights for medical devices and new therapies, and marketing content.
3. HEALTH & SCIENCE EDUCATION
Writing and reviewing teaching material for medical students (all disease areas). Writing and reviewing teaching material for students in the life sciences and biomedical sciences. Writing and reviewing patient information about health, science and research. Preparation of CME material for doctors and other health professionals. CME content writing (previously, for Doctors.Net and Medscape).
EXAMPLES OF RECENT WORK:
Publications, patents, and books are listed on Dr Dinah Parums' website: http://www.dr-dinah-parums.com
The following are three most recent publications:
1) Parums DV. Monograph: Current Status of Targeted Therapy in Non Small-Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC). Drugs Today 2014, 50(7): 503-517. Available at: https://www.academia.edu/10248939/Current_Status_of_Targeted_Therapy_in_Non_Small_Cell_Lung_Cancer_NSCLC_
2) Parums DV. Invited Review: Status of Immune Therapy in Non Small-Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC). Drugs Future 2014, 39(7): 469 - 475. Available at: https://www.academia.edu/14478210/Status_of_Immune_Therapy_in_Non-Small_Cell_Lung_Cancer_NSCLC_
3) Donovan MJ, Kotsianti A, Bayer-Zubek V, Verbel D, Teverovskiy M, Cordon-Cardo C, Costa J, Greco FA, Hainsworth JD, Parums DV. A systems pathology model for predicting overall survival in patients with refractory, advanced non small-cell lung cancer treated with gefitinib. Eur J Cancer, 2009 May;45(8):1518-26. Available at: https://www.academia.edu/7643757/A_systems_pathology_model_for_predicting_overall_survival_in_patients_with_refractory_advanced_non-small-cell_lung_cancer_treated_with_gefitinib